Covenants are attached to the land, just like an easement. This website does a good job of explaining covenants and how they work.
The Shenandoah Protective Covenants are listed below. These apply to all properties and property owners in the Shenandoah subdivision, not just members of the Association.
SHENANDOAH PROTECTIVE COVENANTS
1. LAND USE AND BUILDING TYPE – No lot shall be used except for residential purposes. No building shall be erected, altered, placed, or permitted, to remain on any lot other than one (1) single-family dwelling, except that the rear part of Woodstock lots 8 and 9 may be used for a possible future central water system.
2. DWELLING SIZE – The floor area of each dwelling structure, exclusive of open porches, garages, carports, or patios, shall not be less than 1800 sq. ft. (1500 for Woodstock). The first floor of a two story of one-and-one-half story structure shall have a minimum of 1000 sq. ft.
3. BUILDING LOCATION – No building shall be located on any lot nearer to the street property line than the 50 foot minimum setback distance as provided on the record plat. No building shall be located nearer than fifteen (15) feet to any interior lot line.
4. DIVISION OF LOTS – No lot shall be hereafter subdivided into additional residential lots.
5. OTHER BUILDINGS – No trailer, basement, campshack, garage, barn or other out-buildings shall be at any time used as a residence, temporary or permanent, upon said property, nor shall any structure of a temporary character be used as a residence.
6. FENCES – Any fencing or hedges that may be erected or planted must be of an attractive and durable material. No fence or hedge greater than four (4) feet in height shall be placed or allowed to remain nearer to the street than the minimum building setback line. No barbed wire, field fencing, or similar type of fencing may be used upon the property at any location.
7. GRADE – The grade of any residential structure shall be shown on a plot plan and approved by the developer before any construction may begin. All houses shall be reviewed and approved by the developer before any construction may begin.
8. NUISANCES – No noxious or offensive activities shall be carried on upon any residential lot in this subdivision, nor shall anything be done thereon which may be or become an annoyance or nuisance.
9. TEMPORARY STRUCTURES – No structure of a temporary character may be permitted on any premises except during the active period of construction of building.
10. LIVESTOCK AND POULTRY – No animal, livestock, or poultry of any kind shall be raised, bred, or kept on any lot, except dogs, cats, or other household pets may be kept, provided they are not kept, bred, or maintained for commercial purposes.
11. SWIMMING POOLS – No above ground swimming or wading pools shall be permitted on any lot except one wading pool not to exceed fifty (50) sq. ft. and sixteen (16) inches in height. (Covenant 11 does not apply to Woodstock.)
12. TIME OF COVENANTS – These covenants and restrictions are for the benefit of all lot owners and are to run with the land and are to be binding on all parties and all persons claiming under them until June 1, 1997, at which time they shall be automatically extended for successive periods of ten years, unless by vote of the majority of the then lot owners, it is agreed to change said covenants.
13. INVALIDATION OF COVENANTS – Invalidation of any of these covenants by judgments or court order shall in no way effect any of the other provisions which shall remain in full force and effect.
14. ENFORCEMENT – These covenants shall be enforceable by injunction and otherwise by the grantor, its successors and assigns, or by any lot owner within the plat.